Bacterial vaginosis (bacterial vaginosis) – gynecological disease that occurs as a result of violations of the vaginal microflora. It is characterized by the growth of colonies of bacteria in the vagina gardnerelly. This type of micro-organisms may also fall into the man’s body, but because of the structural features of the urinary organs quickly dies.
The disease is not an infection, a sexually transmitted. Gardnerella – is part of the microflora of the vagina every woman. There are two contradictory medical opinions about bacterial vaginosis. One view is that to treat this disease is not necessary, even in the acute phase. Another view is radically opposite – even in the absence of the characteristic symptoms of the disease must be fought.
Anaerobes live in the vagina every woman. Usually, the number is small, it is impossible to identify them even with the help of high-precision laboratory tests (eg, PCR). The growth of some bacteria is usually observed on the background of reducing the number of others. This phenomenon provokes inflammation of the vagina and cervix.
Factors contributing to the emergence of bacterial vaginosis:
- Hormonal imbalance
- Changing diet and eating habits
- Changing the geographical and climatic zones
These factors usually lead to the fact that along with the increase in the number gardnerellas vagina will increase the number of other bacteria.
Symptoms of bacterial vaginosis
Characteristic symptoms of the disease has not. Symptoms similar for all vaginal bacterial diseases:
- Itching and burning in the vagina and labia
- Unpleasant smell from the vagina, similar to the smell of fish
- Excessive allocation – white, green, yellow, colorless
- The lack of physiological lubrication during intercourse
- The danger for the organism
- The rapid growth of bacteria can cause a variety of inflammation of the labia, vagina, cervix. A secondary risk factor is the general decline in immunity, which could lead to the development of diseases caused by other pathogens.
Often the disease is diagnosed during pregnancy, but it is not a prerequisite for any risks related to pregnancy and fetal health. Micro-organisms are not able to cross the placenta. At birth, they will be able to get on the skin of the newborn, but as anaerobes low pathogenicity data, they do not cause any diseases in the baby.
Despite the fact that bacterial vaginosis is not dangerous disease, it is necessary to pay attention to his treatment. Usually it takes place in three stages:
Antibiotic therapy – local or general. Assigned to reduce the amount of bacteria in the vagina
- Restoration of normal vaginal microflora. For this purpose, prescribers with lactobacilli. This step is difficult and takes a lot of time, however, as any other measures to restore the normal balance of the body flora.
- Restoring healthy vaginal immunity. At this point, the local immunomodulators appointed.
In the treatment of diseases in pregnant antibiotic therapy is assigned only locally. Upon completion of a course of therapy shall be additional laboratory tests confirming the positive trend the general condition of the vaginal microflora.
- Supporting factors for successful therapy is a general strengthening of the immunity of the whole organism, vitamins, a balanced diet and the correct mode.
Patients should remember that the lower the overall immunity and low immunity of the pelvic organs can lead not only to the development of this disease, but also to a variety of others. The human body is never in a sterile environment, in addition he is the habitat of hundreds of microorganisms. Immunosuppression usually leads to the fact that pathogens begin to grow rapidly, while the useful microflora remains depressed and can not control the activities of harmful pathogens. Therefore, it is important to keep your body healthy – this is the best prevention against many infectious diseases, not only against that particular disease.